Thursday 20 February 2014

OUGD503: Studio Brief 1 - Reggae Poster

As a quick brief I decided to enter the International Reggae Poster Competition. Below is the brief:




After looking into the roots of reggae and the symbolism surrounding reggae music (see context blog) I sketched out a few ideas:



I took one of my ideas and first sketched it out. My idea was to have dread locks hanging down from a head, and on the beads and rags intwined in the dreads would be the words one love. I'm interested in illustration, and I thought this was a brilliant opportunity for me to test my drawing skills, and also enhance my skills at using colour on illustrator:




After drawing out my idea first in pencil, and then in marker pen I scanned it into the computer and digitalised it:




After colouring it in I tried different coloured backgrounds. I tried red green and blue, because these are the iconic colours of the Rastafarians.




I asked my flat mate for some feedback and he said that the first thing he thought was that the dreads were poo (which I obviously didn't want). I asked more people and they said the same, so I changed the colour to see if it made a difference.

Here is the final poster design that I submitted. I changed the colour of the dreads to black, which I think suited it much better.







WebRep
currentVote
noRating
noWeight

No comments:

Post a Comment